Gameplay settings

• Baron

Specifically,
    Should we turn off fire spread entirely, or just from lightning strikes? Something else?

Should we turn off creeper block damage?

General consensus in discord so far has been turn off only lightning fires and leave creepers alone.

Fire Spread: Resolved without formal vote
    Creeper Block Damage: https://forums.candarion.com/topic/38/creeper-greifing-disabling/13
    -Alric

• Baron

I want to just turn off lightning fire, leave creepers alone

• Baron

I concur with ignis

• Baron

I think we should turn of lightning fire for sure. I would love for firespread to be off entirely but it does ruin the ability to clear forests so that's fine. Regarding creeper damage...I'd be a fan of removing it. It's mostly just a pain in the ass.

• Count

I'd be fine with creeper damage turned off, but that has to wait for essentials anyway.

Either turn fire spread off, or just turn weather off until we get essentials. I'd be more in favor of just turning weather off, and having spread on.

Once we get essentials, then just lightning fire off, like before

• Baron

I'm 100% for turning creeper damage off, we're a building server and it's just out of place. I'd love to walk around my creations without having to worry about ruining them or having to light them up with so many torches my eyes bleed.

• Baron

I think lighting fire should be off, but fire spread left on.

Annisar makes a good point, until we get essentials the best thing to do would just be to turn weather off entirely.

I agree wholly with Guy, Creeper damage has always been out of place on this server. In every other regard I've always wanted it kept as vanilla as possible - but Creepers are just infuriating.

• Baron

I would be ok with turning weather off for now, so we could have fire spread back. I'll just reiterate my position that I think creepers should not be changed, we may be a building server, but we are still a survival server. Light stuff up, and gucci mang.

• Baron

@TiberiusAelvas Creepers aren't necessary for a survival experience, you can play survival peaceful.

Besides we have tonnes of stuff that interferes with the survival experience already like the afk command that we'll soon have back.

• Baron

I'm all for turning creeper damage off.

• Baron

I'm going to wade i nand say I support Lightning fire spread being disabled, but general fire spread kept enabled.

In terms of Creeper Damage, I see no major reason to turn it off. Creeper damage can be fought against by lighting your stuff up (which we should all be doing anyway guys). Yes, we build stuff and yes its annoying when a green wang with eyes blows something up, but if we go that far we may as well remove zombies and skeletons. How about we just switch to peaceful if we just want to build without distractions? At that point we may as well just go full creative.

We play survival so we accept the various risks that come with it. Lightning damage is different as its more difficult to combat

• Baron

To be fair, removing creeper block damage is pretty different from removing zombies and skeletons. You can still be damaged by creepers even if they don't grief builds. And as for lighting stuff up...sure, but things look infinitely better without roofs full of torches haha

• Baron

could just build roofs so they cant spawn on them lit or not 😉

• Withdrawn Baron

The issue with Creepers is, imho, not one for your own stuff. I'm fine with being an idiot and blowing a hole in my own buildings. What I'm not fine with is accidentally upon a creeper and it having at someone else's builds. The blocks dropped wont be enough to let me repair the damage, and I probably wont be able to replicate it anyways. This is not fun. I dont like greifing, and that's what this is. It's not even that fighting creepers is tough, it's all the numerous times you just arent paying attention and someone else's shit takes the brunt of it.

• Withdrawn Baron

On fire, while I'd personally prefer it being utterly turned off, for building's sake - as long and lightning fire start is removed I'll be happy.

• Baron

If I visit someone else's place and a creeper comes at me and blows a hole in their build, its partly on them for not lighting stuff up appropriately.

• Baron

Generally, I mean sure. But there are so many instances where you can miss literally one square that's slightly too dark and then you get exploded.

• Count

So before I was more speaking in terms of NOW, but this thread is also speaking about permanent server settings. Here are my thoughts on that:

I really don't see a huge difference in turning lightning fire off and turning creeper block damage off in terms of the survival experience.

Both are server related stuff that can grief. If we don't allow player griefing, we shouldn't allow server related griefing.

Saying you can light up your town so creepers can't spawn is the same logic as saying you can just build out of non-flammable materials so lightning can't start anything on fire. Yes we can prevent it in game, but that limits our options and creativity.

I would love to have open fields of grass for grazing on the edge of my rural hamlets, I would love to have dark alleys in the slums of my city, or dungeons being unlit in my castle. I would love for my lighting to reflect what would actually be lit up in real life, rather than based on the mechanics of the game and how often I need to place a torch to prevent mobs from appearing out of thin air.

Ideally, I would like things like worldguard, so if I build a city with walls, mobs would be prevented from spawning inside the walls. But in the long run, that creates more problems than it solves. But preventing the game from affecting our builds is something we can do, and should.

I support turning lightning fire starting off, turning creeper blockdamage off, and turning off endermen's ability to pick up blocks (since thats just random and you might not notice they took a building block until 6 months later)

But mobgrief as a whole should be on, because turning that off actively changes how you can fight the wither, which is much more survival-altering than the creepers ability to do the same.

Users

Topics