Breaking through the nether roof for a gold farm

• Baron

I would like to build a gold farm on the roof of the nether, any thoughts on the idea of passing something so I can bust a proper entrance in the ceiling so that we don't need to do a bunch of glitchy minecart stuff to get on the top of it? The motion would be for a one-time hole to be made for the use of a gold farm.

Discuss away...

Resolved: https://forums.candarion.com/topic/137/breaking-through-the-nether-ceiling-vote -Alric

• Duke

I think that something like this for a public farm is well within the powers of the Infrastructure Minister without needing legislation.

• Baron

That's what I was thinking, just wanted to see if anyone had any opposition to the idea.

• Baron

Let me try! I think I have enough time to punch through the bedrock!

In all seriousness, I would not be opposed to a hole through the nether ceiling for farming purposes. I think it is justifiable as a ministerial action, but if it does come up as a statute I would vote in favor.

• Count

I believe this falls into the realm of the ministry of infrastructure. The relevant parts of the charter are:

"The Minister of Infrastructure is also in charge of the construction and maintenance of public grinders and nether lines/portals."

"The Ministers have the power to publicly enact policies related to their current position. These policies can be changed at any time by the respective current minister. Any such policy can be put to vote to be struck down or recognized more permanently as a motion following normal voting laws."

As this is directly related to a public grinder, and assuming nobody voices a concern in this thread, you can just do it without needing a formal vote.

• Baron

I support this. While it's certainly possible to glitch up to the roof, it's pretty annoying and in the end we are a worldbuilding server. We're not in this to spend time grinding stuff out.

• Baron

I am not opposed to the idea myself.

• Non-Participating Baron

If we're going to have a gold farm, we might as well just bust the roof open rather than glitch up with minecarts, so I support this idea.

• Count

One thing to consider: once we have access, no matter the method, people could start using the roof rather than the netherlines.

Create a waypoint, then run/ride/elytra at a diagonal to that spot, and build another portal to exit.

Is this something we want to address at all? Do we care?

• Baron

I care. My suggestion is once we build the gold farm we build a bedrock shell around the farm.

• Duke

@Aevirath said in Breaking through the nether roof for a gold farm:

I care. My suggestion is once we build the gold farm we build a bedrock shell around the farm.

I was going to suggest that, or have a ministerial rule set up that says it is disallowed.

• Minister Duke

I was gonna voice an opinion for a shell but I was beat to it

• Baron

That's a good idea, we'll definitely do that.

• Count

I would suggest using barrier blocks. Massive walls of bedrock are really ugly.

Also, for the roof, I don't think mobs can spawn on barrier or bedrock, but something to keep in mind. We can always slab the top either way.

• Baron

@Alric good thought, I'll experiment with both and see whivh work best for the application

• Duke

@Alric said in Breaking through the nether roof for a gold farm:

I would suggest using barrier blocks. Massive walls of bedrock are really ugly.

Also, for the roof, I don't think mobs can spawn on barrier or bedrock, but something to keep in mind. We can always slab the top either way.

Forgot Barrier blocks were even a thing, Thats a great idea. Hope the testing goes well @Mimo

• Baron

Im not totally convinced we need a gold farm, nether roof or not.

Sure it might be a finite resource but we're not gonna run out. It might be inconvenient to aquire and work with but that's the cost of using that particular material.

Honestly, I don't mean to offend anyone, but wanting a farm for gold just seems like laziness, rather than going out and mining the materials you want. what if I want to use clay blocks as ceramic tiles for my builds? can we make a crafting recipe for clay that uses dirt and slime balls?

In my opinion, this is one of those things where, If you want to build out of this material, you have to spend some time making a trip and gathering it, or you have to trade with somebody who has it.

• Duke

@TheValeyard

Gold farms are very common these days, its like any other grinder or farm. I'd rather have one be made quality by our staff than let some fucking yahoo do it in the future and maybe fucking it all up. Its not an if its a when and i'd rather some regulation like the rest of our public grinders.

I do not like the idea of outlawing a grinder or farm as long as its not something that would cause the server to become destabilized or laggy.

• Baron

In addition, gold is fairly easy to obtain, as I know from experience.

On aldemeria I made a trip to a mine on the world border, filled 4 shulkers full of gold blocks, and there was at least 60% of the mine untouched when I left.

If there is a place people can go to collect a resource, and nobody is utilizing that location, I see no need for a farm.

I could see an argument for diversifying the building palette but this is a survival server. If you want to use something, grind the resource or trade for it. If you want every block easily available to build really awesome stuff, maybe you should be on a creative server.

• Minister Duke

@TheValeyard Even if it wasn't supported by the server, it is still possible to glitch through the roof via other means. It doesn't even need to be built on the roof, that is just the best place for it. Anyone can build one of these and I suspect that some still might to have one closer to wherever they are, therefore there is no reason as to why one shouldn't be made with server support since it could be just made without that support, just not as easy with a bit more work.

Users

Topics