Charter amendment: Voting Periods

• Count

So with the discussion going on right now, I started looking at how our new voting system would work in practice, and noticed a flaw.
    The two important bits are:

"c. All non-emergency motions must be submitted for public discussion for at least 1 week before they may be voted on."

and

"e. Voting Periods
    i. Voting periods run for 14 days, starting every other Monday
    ii. Motions must be posted on the first day of the period."

So if a topic was brought up for discussion on Tuesday the 8th, it would not meet the 1 week minimum in order to be voted on this voting period (started on Monday the 14th). Which means it has to wait until the next period, which begins on the 28th. Then it has two weeks of voting on, and cannot pass until the end of the period on Sunday, Feb 10th. This is over a month after it was first introduced for discussion.

The goal was to eliminate overnight bills and give some time for discussion, but in practice, the current system is VERY slow.

So I propose switching to a 7 day voting period, starting every Monday. I believe this was spoken of originally, but I did not realize how slow a 14 day cycle would be.

Additionally, change the submission requirement to 5 days before they may be voted on.
    I think legal discussions often stem from other legal discussions, like my suggested netherline border route for resource gathering, stemming from the clay recipe discussion.

I think 5 days (The Wednesday before a voting cycle) gives enough time to explore an issue, while still giving a 2 day buffer for anything that stems from another discussion.

So the changes would be:
    ""c. All non-emergency motions must be submitted for public discussion for at least five days before they may be voted on."

and

"e. Voting Periods
    i. Voting periods run for 7 days, starting every Monday
    ii. Motions must be posted on the first day of the period."

Most weeks won't have anything either way. But if something does come up, it shouldn't take a month or an emergency vote to pass it.

Resolved:
    https://forums.candarion.com/topic/126/call-for-emergency-vote-charter-amendment
    https://forums.candarion.com/topic/127/charter-amendment-vote
    -Alric

• Baron

I'd vote in favor.

• Non-Participating Baron

I think this is a necessary change, so I’d vote in favour.

• Minister Duke

Current is a bit too slow, I would agree to this change.

• Baron

This sounds good to me and has my full support

• Baron

Agree with this

• Baron

I am in favour of this change

• Baron

I am in favor.

Users

Topics