Lore Discussion #1: Floating Islands

• Baron

Alright Ladies, Gentlemen, and Mimo, its time for our first lore discussion. Today's topic is: Floating Islands, should they be allowed, and if so, what restrictions, if any, should be put on them.

Personally, I dont give two hoots, if people want to build floating islands, go for it. We are obviously much higher magic than we were before the Fishening (R.I.P.) , so I see no issues with them.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? weigh in here, but keep it civil, or... else...

• Minister Duke

I think they are cool

• Baron

I like floating islands, though I think some restrictions/guidelines should be used. I would like them to look "natural" so not just a giant stone slab with a house on top, but something that looks like it was carved out of the ground. Other then that I think the only other thing would be that the person needs to have a lore explanation as to why they exist in their realm. I can't think of really any other issues with them, leaving it largely open would provide a lot of creative freedom to whoever wants to build them.

• Baron

I think they're fine.

• Non-Participating Baron

I've got no qualms personally. Doubt I'd build one but it should be open to people to want to, as long as they look somewhat natural.

• Count

I'm completely fine with naturally formed floating islands, such as the hallelujah mountains from avatar.

More controversial, but something I would still support with the appropriate lore, is artificially created floating structures, such as a castle in the sky, supported by immovable rods or gravity magic. Either modern built, or a remanant of the previous empire.

But I would be against anything movable, such as a castle in the sky that can be moved from place to place. That has too many implications for me to be comfortable with.

I could possibly be convinced to support magic based airships, because that would make fast travel easier to implement, since we're not all on the same ocean anymore, but that's a stretch for me.

Air travel via magical beasts, like hippogriff and griffins, I would support at a local level, if the realm leader wants to implement it. But I would be opposed to that for any type of international/ fast travel system.

That's my thoughts on everything air related that I can think of.

• Baron

yes, this discussion is for immobile floating islands and similar. movable things, including airships, and magical beasts, will be a seperate discussion

• Duke

I'd like there to be some real regulation on them. I don't mind them existing but they need to be natural and they need to be at a reasonable height. I don't really wnt a realm 1000 blocks up or huge cities way up with no real way to get to them or get materials and supplies

• Count

@ThunderPony said in Lore Discussion #1: Floating Islands:

I'd like there to be some real regulation on them. I don't mind them existing but they need to be natural and they need to be at a reasonable height. I don't really wnt a realm 1000 blocks up or huge cities way up with no real way to get to them or get materials and supplies

Depending on how nether portals are lorified, or if we ever allow custom end portals, the infrastructure for supply and travel to floating locations could easily be done. Whether it's man made, or a natural formation someone then built a castle on.

But I do agree with height reqs. Floating structures could do a lot to offer cool views of a city/xountryside. But a city above the clouds is a little too high fantasy for the setting.

• Minister Duke

If we don't want them to be above the clouds they wouldn't float very high since clouds in vanilla are around 100 to 115 i think. I wouldnt say ground level of one of them should be above maybe 150 but cloud height is fairly low in vanilla

• Duke

Coming back to this, I think I would rather have it be limited to a certain height above whatever the surrounding ground level is, that way you can get some pretty high up floaties but nothing is going to just be a crazy super high out of no where floating island and gives us a bench mark to measure what we consider acceptable for levitation.

• Baron

That's what I was thinking, the max height be relative to the ground height below it.

• Duke

For an idea this is floating islands at 10/20/30 blocks up

alt text

Users

Topics