Do a player's builds need to be in their realm for rank advancement?

• Count

So this is something I touched on in aldemeria, but it would have required too much legal modification at the time. Seeing Rory/Elias want to join every realm reminded me of this however.

So as ranks are now non-lore, and just representative of how much we have contributed, is there anything stopping us from building a settlement in another realm (with permission) and counting that towards rank advancement requirements?

This could create some cool collaboration situations, where you could go build a settlement, barony, or more, in another realms land, and post lore about an international marriage, or other situation leading to a character (PC or npc) having titles in multiple realms.

This is something that happened historically, with the most notable example being the kings of England holding the title of duke of Normandy. At one point Louis the 7th tried to argue that Henry the 2nd must pay homage to him as a vassal, due to his French title.
    We could do some interesting interrealm lore like this.

I personally don't see a problem, although I would rule that cobuilds and individual buildings are not counted, only foreign settlements completely built by the person going for rank. Tracking a complete settlement in realm x wouldn't be hard. Tracking which individual buildings someone made in a cobuild would be impossible though.

• Minister Duke

I think that tracking individual buildings in a cobuild isn't too hard, and I don't see a problem with tracking builds in another realm.

• Baron

The way i thought it was intended when we were writing the charter, was that they dont need to be in their realm. As it stands, theres nothing in the charter that says you have to. Also, technically, it wouldn't have to be someone having titles in multiple realms, you could just write separate lore, if you wanted to.

As far as im concerned, buildings should count, as long as they are built in A realm, not just in the wilderness. But if people want to build together, they should be free to do so without it hurting their rank progression.

I also dont think that we should not count cobuilds or individuals. They should be counted. In the situation that someone claims to have built stuff and they didn't, that can be verified with our plugins. In the situation where someone personally doesnt want to count their individual or scattered buildings, thats there prerogative.

I dont want to only count specific settlements only built by someone. What happens if say, Loric comes to anaetyr and builds several buildings in Aeredos. would i no longer be able to count the reest of my stuff? Would i count my stuff and the ones he built? I really dont think we will have to much of an issue with people lying about it, which would be my only concern, and if that becomes a problem, its not that hard for an admin to check who built what.

• Count

@Aevirath

I was more focused on the cobuilds, but honestly I didn't remember that being intended, and was expecting a lot more push back and wanted to give ground some way.

My only question is: in isara, I went and decorated some interiors to help out. Does whoever built those buildings get to claim them even though they didn't decorate and therefore complete them?

Personally I don't care either way. Buildings will never be my limiting factor

• Duke

@Alric said in Do a player's builds need to be in their realm for rank advancement?:

@Aevirath

I was more focused on the cobuilds, but honestly I didn't remember that being intended, and was expecting a lot more push back and wanted to give ground some way.

My only question is: in isara, I went and decorated some interiors to help out. Does whoever built those buildings get to claim them even though they didn't decorate and therefore complete them?

Personally I don't care either way. Buildings will never be my limiting factor

That is something that has bother me a ton. The current system doesn't easily account for ACTUALLY building something together. I hate interiors and If I have someone come behind to do them are they basically missing out on a build credit if they didn't build the exterior?

What about everyone who contributed to the Canal dig itself, there isn't like an amount that makes one person more valuable than another on that kind of project you know.

I feel that everyone who has a hand on a build in a meaningful way should get full credit for it. Example, if I built the house it's not considered a finished build without the interior. Alric finishes the interior completing the build. We both get credit for that building.

Now even saying that, it is RIPE for abuse but I think at that point we as a community need to police our own and if anything perhaps the minister of Justice may even weight in on that in a more specific fashion as well. Outline punishment now to prevent any idea of even committing the crime.

• Minister Duke

If someone is doing half of the work on a building and another person the other half, why not just credit them both with half?

• Duke

@bryson3842

Because when you start getting into the hundreds of builds across a handful of realms it could become even more prohibitive to count halfs.

• Minister Duke

@ThunderPony Then when you are done with a place, tally it and write it down. I am not saying to recount every time just to tally it in like a master document and then add

Users

Topics