Report from the Seventh Cavalry Scouts

• Baron

Report from Seventh Cavalry Scouts, “Sand Eaters.” Expository summary, behalf of Seventh Cavalier Marhla Ettonagh
    to
    Cavalier Premiere;
    Executive Council.

A scouting mission was sent by the Seventh Cavalier under orders of the Cavalier Premiere to investigate the western shores of the Coghanese isle. Cartographical support was appended to the Seventh Cavalry Scouts unit, the self-endowed “Sand Eaters.” The Scouts completed a round trip in nine months, nine days. It is estimated they reached the northern part of the west shore of the Coghanese island, though accuracy in this matter is moot, given the current lack of comprehension in regards to the true size of our home landmass.

Polar bears were encountered with greater frequency than normal, as were Wights. Weather anomalies, including ice storms, hail, snow, etc., were also recorded with higher frequency.

This, in my mind, indicated that even though the Storm has subsided, remnants of its energy and impact still render the souther and central portions of the island more inhospitably inclement than others.

That said, the Sand Eaters came across a few previously unknown anomalies.

The Sand Eaters encountered shipwrecks along the coast. Whilst it is assumed that these ships are artifact in nature (hailing to what we assume is ancient Proto-Coghanese or Ancient Coga civilization) and were sunk or run aground in the calamities of the storm. One ship in particular, though, was of dissimilar design and coloration to the others. It is assumed this ship belonged to either a private citizen—in which case the civilization of Ancient Coga is more suspect in regards to the monetary influence on society—or another nation/state entirely. Since the ship was sunk offshore, dive teams were not sent to investigate in detail, given the present danger of cold and climate—scouting units on the move would be unwilling to stop and set a fire to warm their men, not until evening at the very least.

Remarkably sized ruins were spotted further inland in the continent. Dark stone atop hills cut an imposing silhouette, despite a hailstorm, and Seventh Scouts commander Nerra has ensured accurate cartographical documentation for further explorative expeditions. It is agreed amongst the scouts (and myself) that the ruins were generally accompanied by a sense of dread, an unnatural aspect that appears psychologically or ontologically inclined to impress fear in the minds of those who inspect, discuss, or even think of these ruins.

Allow me the emphasis of reiteration. These ruins seem to have some sort of magical, aphysical ability to instill feelings of dread in those who see, discuss, or think about them. Even myself, with by no means an accurate or clear depiction, found myself with a reasonable dose of fear, despite feeling nothing prior but curiosity in dealing with Nerra’s reports. It goes without saying that these ruins should be explored st a later date.

Finally, as the group drew closer to Ighodia on the return leg of their trip, they found several hundred small translucent yellow-white eggs interred in the sand. Their size and number is inconsistent with any such known sea creatures: turtles, octopi, and even the large squid we’ve seen lay eggs much smaller and in greater numbers. As with most things, this most definitely warrants further investigation in my mind.

This concludes the noteworthy information returned to me by the scouting group.

For the sister expedition sent to investigate and chart the east shore, see “Report from the Sixth Cavalry Scouts, ‘Blood Biters.’”

For further inquiry, please consult the Seventh Cavalier directly.

Users

Topics