The City Dwellers

• Baron

I still remember that morning, papa was standing in front of our wooden door, blocking my eldest brother from leaving the house. I could hear the sheep begin their late-morning call for attention, notifying my family that they were running late. As a young girl, I couldn’t understand what they were yelling over each other about. I just remember the stern look of my father, his face a bright red and his eyes glazed over. As I got older, my brother never came back, he had left the family’s nomadic home for the human cities. I thought about following him, to see if he’d come back; but part of me was scared I wouldn’t return home either. Papa still waits over the edges of our grazing land, he tells me it’s to watch for anyone or thing coming to mess with our stock; but he only ever looks south towards the cities.

- Unknown Journal Entry, Dated 9 S.C -

Around the realms of Candarion exists collective communities of members from the various cultivation clans. They reside within the borders of existing, well-protected and populated cities. Partaking with the cities economy, and existing populations, they would seem nearly indistinguishable from the native inhabitants; if not for their distinct ethnic features and infamously difficult cultural barriers.

Residents within these communities will typically reside in very close-knit quarters, often through a series of walled-in buildings. These walls however do not act to keep the native city inhabitants out, but rather to help protect their deeply personal cultural customs from being invaded by their surroundings. The gated communities open each day with a smell of fried food and boiling soups, sat waiting for local customers. The tightly compact shops glistening with goods, both local and foreign.

While the streets are open for business, behind closed doors exists tightly controlled gatherings. Few know what goes on behind the front-doors to many of the homes in their communities. Entrance is only granted to outsiders on local government ordinance; whose admittance is often met with harsh disapproval from the locals living within the walls. For these reasons these communities exist primarily in locations where local governments allow them privacy in return for loyal tax revenue.

These small communities often have a hierarchy based on economics, as they are distinctly split from their native cultivation clan. Family name and origin mean little to these runaways. Their community rarely partakes in external governance of their cities, they’d rather keep their conflicts internal and under the shadows. Conflict is resolved internally, often at the hands of economic punishment or strict exile.

Users

Topics