Aiolian Golems

• Baron

As world-breaking lore has been a discussion for a few hours, I find several issues with the concept of golems. As such, I have put together a post that I hope will clear up the problems golems have in the world of Candarion and how I would use them in Aiolia going forward. I cannot stress enough that this is not for every realm on the server, this is only for Aiolian golems. If somebody wants to use this for their own golems, sure, but if they want a different type of golem, I will weigh the pros and cons of that golem, not tag them onto my golems. This is for Aiolian golems only.

Now let's get into the nitty-gritty. I hope I have nerfed golems enough, as I'm not sure what else I could do to them to make them underpowered without letting them become undesirable. However, state your dissent if you do still find them overpowered.

Age range:
    No more than exactly 100 years after its creation by Eternal, a powerful dictator of Aiolia. Regular mages of Aiolia can only create golems that last 25 years. (see Creation)

Height:
    1.5 meters to 3 meters

Races:
    Ha’adam
    Aiolian Golem

Sentience:
    A golem can be created as a slave with a single purpose (Golem) or as a sentient being capable of complex thought (Ha’adam, these do not exist as of yet, but I plan them to)

Appearance:
    A golem can only be created out of a fluid inanimate substance that has never been alive, or a hinged solid that must have never been alive. Golems must be humanoid in shape. If a golem loses a limb, it cannot be replaced. The golem is given everything it has to work with when it is created. Nothing can be added. Vines may run over the golem, originating from the pumpkin.
    Runes often cover their bodies, especially those given sentience.

Fluid Substance Examples:
    Clay
    Mud
    Snow
    Hinged Solid Examples:
    Metals
    Terracotta
    Glass
    Unacceptable Medium Examples:
    Wood (previously living)
    Sand (falls apart far too easily)

Abilities:
    Golems are always strong (amount of strength varies on material used) and can shrug off small projectiles easily (if made of the right material). They are able to carry large loads and can serve as small siege engines in battle (siege ladders, battering rams, very small catapults) if their strength is high enough (generally iron golems, which are rare and hard to make, see “Creation”).

Disabilities:
    Fine motor control is beyond most golems, as is writing. Building complex and some simple machines is impossible without serious planning and collaboration. Ships are awesome feats for them. Generally unthinking slaves in all realms. Also, not fast at all, quite slow indeed. Golems can drown like any other race, as they breathe as plants do. As their head is made of a gourd, it is a massive weak point. This can be exploited when in battle or when the golem needs to be executed.

Creation:
    A golem is created through the molding/smithing together of a humanoid body. Certain runes must be carved into the body throughout this process to enable the motion of the limbs. The head is always left for last. The head must be composed of a pumpkin. Something akin to an iron helmet may be placed over the pumpkin so that it is hidden, but the pumpkin is integral to the process. The purpose of a golem is given to it by writing it on a piece of paper and placing it inside the mouth of the creation. It is harder to create metal golems because of the runic process and the expense of the material, thus making them far rarer.

Golems may be made by professional smiths in roughly six months. Only around twenty of these smiths exist in Aiolia, and all are in Eternal’s inner circle. The golem population in Aiolia is only around a hundred at the moment. Eternal creates golems differently, only a few of his exist in common Aiolia. His golems can last a hundred years and can understand multiple tasks, but only a few. Most of these golems are tied up in his secret bunker in Lipari, as he wants to observe them in his quest to create sentient life. Only three of Eternal’s golems are in circulation in Aiolia.

Golems eventually go “mad” after seven years. This is actually golems gaining sentience, but Aiolian humans cannot speak with the tongueless golems. Being a slave is not a thing that is conducive to a brand new being’s mindset, and the golem often lashes out. A being with great strength suddenly lashing out, most Aiolians consider it easier to execute the golem rather than try to keep it running. Eternal’s golems go mad much later, in the year seventy-seven. The result is often the same, but only after the golem has done much damage.

Death:
    Golems often die when they are executed, but can live up to twenty-five years if not killed. At this point, their pumpkin will shrivel and die, leaving the body as a statue. These statues cannot be reanimated or reused as golems. The material must be completely thrown away. Eternal’s golems do the same when they die at the age of a hundred.

Usage:
    This may be anything from guarding a village to moving cargo, as long as it is a simple task. Most are used as cheap slave labor. These purposes will not distract a golem from such activities necessary to its life such as eating, drinking, and “soaking.”

Diet:
    Golems feed off of a diet of anything organic, sunlight, and water. This feeds the pumpkin head of the golem and allows it to continue to live. Golems can starve to death if deprived of these substances. Water and sunlight are a constant necessity, but food only needs to be eaten once every two weeks in quantities of a bushel. Strangely, the paper is never damaged in the eating process. “Soaking” is the time when a golem will bare its head to the sun in the morning and wait roughly an hour before beginning work. This time is necessary to regain lost energy during the night. Sometimes this can last for six hours if the previous day was particularly cloudy. Water can be ingested from anywhere as long as it is not extremely polluted.

Soaking:
    Once the sun goes down, golems become motionless as they enter sleep. If they have been doing nothing but soaking in the sun and standing all day, then they can be active at night. The more work they have done that day, the less they will last past sundown. This is true of golems wearing helmets and in caves as well. They must soak for an entire day before they are able to work an entire night. Effectively, a golem force can only attack at day without helmets, or night with helmets after a day of soaking. Mining golems or golems that serve in mines would have to soak through the day to work through the night, having to take a break every other night to sleep or risk “going mad” early. This I believe would primarily eliminate assembly lines, in addition to not having fine motor skills.

• Minister Duke

As it stands, I think these limitations are more than strict enough for the creation of these golems and their entering into lore.

• Baron

I think your golem lore is quite interesting, and I'd be happy to see you write more.

Users

Topics