Base lore for the Server

• Baron

so this is what i came up with for a lore premise for the server, please discuss in here.

The Arcosian Empire, a thousand years ago it stretched all across these lands. Technology, Culture, Magic, these all flourished in those times. Until the Catastrophe. No one knows for certain what caused it, some scholars claim plague, some war, others say magic. What is certain however, is that the Arcosian Empire collapsed. What followed was an era of darkness. All the various peoples of Candarion lost major contact, diplomacy and trade collapsed. Much of their history was lost, never to be recovered, though echoes of their influence still exist in many realms now. Ruins can be found, but there is little power or knowledge to gain from them. The only remaining people of the Empire live on the island City-State of Arcos, widely known to be a neutral party, never engaging in war and only defending their island home. Some say that Arcos is where the Arcosian Empire began, and the Arcosian Humans are the last descendants of those people.

• Duke

So is now basically the start of more organized unification around the map which would be our fledgling freeholds? Kind of the Candarion Renaissance?

• Baron

basically, yeah

• Baron

Either that or you could have already been a more unified realm with previous lore.

• Duke

@TiberiusAelvas said in Base lore for the Server:

Either that or you could have already been a more unified realm with previous lore.

I guess what I meant when i said that is unified enough to expand and all of that. I imagine most realms will already have some established lore when we hit the ground running.

• Count

This sounds good to me. Helps explain desert/ ocean monuments and strongholds. The past is vague enough we can all build on it in our own way, and a thousand years is enough time for stories to be twisted so much they could only be a shell of the truth.

• Baron

@Annisar said in Base lore for the Server:

This sounds good to me. Helps explain desert/ ocean monuments and strongholds. The past is vague enough we can all build on it in our own way, and a thousand years is enough time for stories to be twisted so much they could only be a shell of the truth.

Makes sense to me too

• Baron

I really like this idea and the implementation you have so far.

• Baron

I'm keen on this.

• Baron

As the person who technically came up with this idea for this server, of course I agree and like it lol. I would have liked to see us draw some borders for what the old empire was but I like more that because the death of the old empire was mysterious and also 1000 years ago that its borders are not definitively known.

It gives realms the option of claiming old empire heritage (in the sense of they used to be within its borders, not that they are descendants because thats a no no) or just ignoring it all together. Very nice!

• Baron

I'm good with this as long as we do the idea to "Draw the border" of the Arcosian culture. Some people may want to settle outside it and not claim the connection

• This post is deleted!

• Baron

@Tioteche said in Base lore for the Server:

I'm good with this as long as we do the idea to "Draw the border" of the Arcosian culture. Some people may want to settle outside it and not claim the connection

It sounds like they want to not draw the border and just allow realms to claim history or not as they see fit.

• Baron

@Aron Sounds good to me. Where would we be at in regards to having other previous cultures in our respective lore? On the Old Server it was wholly not allowed, but this world history seems to support more individualized (albeit smaller) circumstances?

• Baron

It's a good backstory.

What would the traits of arcosian humans be? Do they all look simmilar or can they look like anything. Did one of these traits cause the Arcosian empire to become as big and powerfull as it was?

• Count

@Tioteche

I would say the general rule is your historic culture has to be proportional to your realm size. No other kingdoms or large realms.

I think the idea is after the collapse, society crumbled to a dark age, and we are only now getting back on our feet.

There was an empire, but not much between then and now

• Baron

I like the overall concept and agree with the idea, but I d like to suggest that Arcos not be a descendant/remnant of the old empire and instad just be another realm like the rest of us. Other than the point of spawn, I dont think Arcos should have any importance above other realms

• Count

@TheValeyard said in Base lore for the Server:

I like the overall concept and agree with the idea, but I d like to suggest that Arcos not be a descendant/remnant of the old empire and instad just be another realm like the rest of us. Other than the point of spawn, I dont think Arcos should have any importance above other realms

I agree.
    It could be descended from that empire, but should match the rest of the realms for history/technology/power.

Maybe it was lost/abandoned in the cataclysm, and found/resettled around the same time all our realms were founded/put together

• Esquire

I like Annisar's idea about Arcos being lost then refound, it fits better with the level of technology we're going for. Plus it would explain why there are ruins on the island and sunken ships scattered around.

• Baron

I too like Arcos just being a part of the empire and not necessarily the capital or other important place. Abandoned after trade on the ocean dried out and recently resettled for its defensive position and already established city planning etc.

Users

Topics