One vote per noble

• Count

As this has been brought up on the discord, let's get an official discussion going on this change.

I think we should just give a single vote to each noble, regardless of rank. All our voices should matter equally when deciding things for the server and community.

I would assume the opinions of experienced players like counts and dukes would still be given more weight automatically because of the public nature of their rank (different color in discord, etc)
    But when it comes time to vote, we are all equal and we should vote in that fashion.

This means the higher ranks will just reflect those of the community who have built the largest realms and developed the lore for it. The ranks are in recognition of their realm, and may come with some perks like fast travel points.

But hopefully, without the votes, there will be less reason to gatekeep, and less jealousy/elitism to people advancing (to me this was only an issue with he-who-must-not-be-named, but we can still try to address it)

Resolved with Charter: https://forums.candarion.com/topic/64/charter-for-candarion/9 -Alric

• This post is deleted!

• Duke

I think we should still have an increase in vote due to the limited scope of benefits that can be gained. This way a more weighted vote and FTP can be tied to these ranks. People who have more developed builds, and thus more time in, should have a bit more weight.

Perhaps something akin to;
    (Note: These are not cumulative just reflect what you have at that rank)

• Lord - 1 Vote
    • Count - 1 Vote & 1 FTP
    • Duke - 2 Votes & 1 FTP
    • Prince - 2 Votes & 2 FTP
    • King - 3 Votes & 3 FTP (This is inflated due to the side of Kingdoms and the likely need for multiple FTP)

• Baron

The multiple votes thing made sense at the time. And I don't think it's really necessary any more.

What I think would be good, is adding another rank before 'Lord' or something.
    I think it should take a little longer to earn your vote, but once you do, it matters.
    A problem we had with the numbers previously was that high ranking players controlled a very disproportionate amount of power because they were also the most active.
    And while I can see the side of saying high ranks should have more sway.
    I agree with Annisar that they should have that sway in discussions pre-vote discussions, etc, rather than in the vote itself.

• Duke

I think this idea that they have weight is predicated on the idea that people would care what they have to say, even if it is in the best interest of the server. I feel that the people that have invested so much time and energy into the server should have some legislation that allows their dedication to be felt beyond just the hopes that others may hold their opinions in higher esteem.

• Baron

I agree with Teysa. The players who have put the most time and effort into the server should be rewarded for that by getting a more central role in the function of the server itself. It’s not necessary for the vote to increase at every rank; the suggested +1 every two ranks sounds balanced to me. This way, even a prince would only have double the votes of a lord.

• Baron

@beijimon said in One vote per noble:

I agree with Teysa. The players who have put the most time and effort into the server should be rewarded for that by getting a more central role in the function of the server itself. It’s not necessary for the vote to increase at every rank; the suggested +1 every two ranks sounds balanced to me. This way, even a prince would only have double the votes of a lord.

If we were to go this direction, I'd definitely want to keep the max votes capped a lot harder. Duke = 3 lords vote wise was just too much.
    I still also think that in either system, the first vote should be slightly harder to obtain.

• Duke

@Aron said in One vote per noble:

If we were to go this direction, I'd definitely want to keep the max votes capped a lot harder. Duke = 3 lords vote wise was just too much.
    I still also think that in either system, the first vote should be slightly harder to obtain.

I 100% agree, the 3 votes for duke was excessive for sure. I am very open to making obtaining a vote more of an involved process. We could easily add a rank or make the requirements for esquire and lord a bit more stringent.

• Count

I would also like to point out that not everyone has the same home situation and can dedicate the same amount of time. In 6 months, should my opinion outweigh davalors, because I don't have kids and have more free time to play on the server?

Maybe you need a higher rank to run for office or introduce a bill, (not really suggesting these ideas, just an example) but at the end of the day, each community member, once they have proven their dedication to the server (and hit lord) should have an equal vote.

Senators only get one vote no matter the size of their state.
    Representatives are based on population, but they represent real people, not imaginary npcs.

• Baron

I totally get your point. But on the flip side, should someone who hops on for five minutes every other week get the same vote as you, who play regularly every day? Perhaps this points to a need to overhaul inactivity requirements but as it stands, this can be a double edged sword. I won’t name names, but there were definitely people who reached lord on Aldemeria who wouldn’t have deserved the same vote as someone like Aezyr.

Plus, we aren’t a senate so there’s no real restriction on what representation should be here — it can be whatever we want!

• Baron

Plus, we aren’t a senate so there’s no real restriction on what representation should be here — it can be whatever we want!

Totally this. Any of the systems really aren't required to be the same, or even resemble, how things worked previously, unless we want them to.

• Duke

I for one liked the old system, while it had some glaring flaws that we are addressing I'd like to maintain that experience as well.

• Baron

I think that we should tweak the old system, and add a vote every other rank up perhaps. I would be open to one vote only though.

• Baron

I agree with generally everything Teysa has said here, and I do like his revised vote-per-rank system. It still allows more umph for your rank, something 1 vote per a rank wouldn't do.

Beijimon brings up another good point about activity and votes. Borderline inactive people who dont put the time in shouldn't have as much say - they arent as involved.

• Count

This conversation can now be directed to the noble ranks discussion, as that has a redistributed voting system that is a good middle ground.

Users

Topics