Astronomy of Candarion

• Baron

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience.
    -Carl Sagan

I would like to start a formal discussion on the astronomy of Candarion. How many suns do we have? How many moons do we have? Are there other planets visible to the naked eye? Are there any particularly notable stars? Anything related to the night (or day in case of the sun) is open for discussion. Already written lore that relates to this discussion would also be good to bring up for reference.

• Baron

I would say that, in order to provide a fair and simple field for everyone to operate in, we should set the world's cosmology as as similar to Earth's situation as possible. That means one sun and one moon, with days and years taking the same amount of time as they do here. I don't say this because I like boring cosmology or because I don't think different solar system models are interesting, but because I don't want that to be the focus on this server. Large scale stuff like this should not be the focus of anyone's world building here; we have a very well-established realm system that dictates what people's world building is and I think we should stick to that. Too much deliberation over global world building will only result in muddying that realm-focused system and lead to more creative conflict that could be seriously detrimental to the community.

In terms of details, like other planets, I think that the level of technology in Candarion is such that that is far more up to interpretation, and I don't think we have to label every star in the sky, any more than we needed to dictate the exact path of the comet last year. How individual realms interpret the heavens is absolutely something I would love to see people explore, just so long as everyone remembers where the boundaries are.

• Baron

I would prefer to have one moon and one sun. Firstly, it is convenient due to the similarities to Earth, and secondly, it is what is observable in game.

I think it would be cool to have a few planets in the sky. I wouldn't go as far as to name them. I think that, as well as associated cultural beliefs, should be left to the realms. The point of figuring this all out is not to write lore for people, but to make sure we're all working from the same source. Five is a good number of planets I think. It matches up with what is observable to the naked eye.

Stars should be left up to the realms. Fact of the matter is that there are so many stars that we could all come up with a dozen and not even come close to describing the night sky. I do like the idea of there being a North star like in real life, that being said.

• Knight

It would certainly be interesting to have different realms find different constellations in their night skies. perhaps we could make something like a universal night sky as in a randomly generated field of dots.

• Baron

I too would prefer to keep the number of suns and moons at 1 each. We're better off keeping ourself grounded in reality for certain huge things like this. The implications of having multiple suns or moons would raise questions about the way days, time, tides and seasons work which weve already locked down

• Baron

@Ari said in Astronomy of Candarion:

It would certainly be interesting to have different realms find different constellations in their night skies. perhaps we could make something like a universal night sky as in a randomly generated field of dots.

Something like this?

alt text

Users

Topics