Formalizing Unspoken Lore Points

• Baron

One of the things that has been afflicting lore writing, especially for the newcomers, is the list of unspoken rules we have set for lore. As such, the Lore Ministry has compiled a list of these rules. The point of this discussion is to discover if any of these points are contentious, and then have a vote on them if they are. Let's get a solid bedrock to work from.

1. Tech Limit

a. Do not attempt technology beyond the 1400/1500s. 1500 technology should be reserved for if your realm is very technologically advanced for the time

b. Any technology before this limit is fair game, go ham

1. Ship Design

a. There must be a lore reason for a ship exceeding 100 blocks in length

b. 150 blocks is the hard stop limit

c. Ship designs should be kept to the tech limit as much as possible

1. Cannons

a. Nobody has cannons/guns, as that would modify the medieval vibe we are attempting for the sever

1. Airships

a. Airships are a no, as are other mobile floating structures

1. Floating (in air) Islands

a. As long as it isn’t mobile, these are fine

b. Don’t make them at world height, as you should be able to explain how people got resources up that high

c. If you want a floating city, just make sure you can justify its existence with lore ( i.e. can it be defeated)

1. Candarion

a. Candarion is the name of the region, not the planet

1. Moons

a. Candarion has one moon

1. Underwater Realms

a. Noone’s attempted as yet, but should be the same as a floating city (i.e. where did the resources come from, what do they eat, where does it come from, how can they be beaten in a fight, etc)

1. Dimensions

a. Candarion at the moment has one canon dimension, the Overworld

b. Other dimensions and travel between them are a no

c. The Nether and End are noncanon

1. Gods/Religions

a. Religions should be structured as to not actually exist. The gods within the religions, or the feats in them, should be essentially myths. There should be no way to prove your gods are real

i. If your religion is based on an existing being, you must consult the Lore Ministry to make sure it is balanced. Make it mortal, plan to kill it, make it only have influence over a small area. Candarion doesn’t need immortal omnipotent world-enders to work around

b. In that vein, limit god-kings as much as possible. A very good way to do this is to have a plan to remove the god-king eventually, or if it comes to a war have some way to remove them

• Minister Duke

I disagree with the god-king thing, they have to be mortal already, they are just worshipped while they are alive and after they are dead. I am fine with limiting how powerful they are, but saying religions shouldn't have god-kings is weird.

• Baron

@Iokastos said in Formalizing Unspoken Lore Points:

10.b. In that vein, limit god-kings as much as possible. A very good way to do this is to have a plan to remove the god-king eventually, or if it comes to a war have some way to remove them

b. In that vein, limit immortal god-kings as much as possible. A very good way to do this is to have a plan to remove the god-king eventually, or if it comes to a war have some way to remove them

i. Regular god-kings such as pharaohs with magical powers are fine. Immortal army killers is what we want to limit here, not powerful mages

• Esquire

Does a deity that is ethnic and realm specific break these rules?
    I'm looking along the lines of a god/gods that are specific to a particular region/realm and have no authority or power outside if this region/realm unless it's specifically for the people from that realm where the god is from. They are also just deities that rule over the people and give the people meaning/culture, religion, and laws. Nothing like a world ender, etc.

• Prince

@Perihelion47 said in Formalizing Unspoken Lore Points:

Does a deity that is ethnic and realm specific break these rules?
    I'm looking along the lines of a god/gods that are specific to a particular region/realm and have no authority or power outside if this region/realm unless it's specifically for the people from that realm where the god is from. They are also just deities that rule over the people and give the people meaning/culture, religion, and laws. Nothing like a world ender, etc.

This is something I question as well. Given the influence both direct and indirect of the Helian Gods.

• Esquire

@ThunderPony I'm just curious about the fact of not being able to have gods that you can prove exist. No one would follow them in that cases. So having a pantheon like the IRL Mongolian Empire and Tengriism where they didn't force their gods on other countries because it was Mongolia specific and Tengri and the other gods of Tengriism didn't apply to other peoples.

• Baron

@Perihelion47 @ThunderPony I believe this is fine as long as it's limited and balanced to a certain extent. For example, the Domoutso hivemind is essentially a regional god. That is a case I think is very well balanced. Sort of it's a being that functions as a god, not necessarily one that created the universe or whatnot. I want to avoid every realm having an existing pantheon and the conflict between gods that would bring. If a realm goes to war, do the gods as well? And then who actually is the god of the sun? What's the "one true religion?" If none of the religions are true, then that conflict between cultures and religions is avoided.

• Baron

1. has been stricken from the list to be discussed and voted on separately.

• Baron

9.a. and 9.b has been struck from the list to be discussed and voted on separately.

9.c. will remain unstruck.

• Baron

2.a. and 2.b. have been struck from the list to be discussed and voted on seperately.

2.c. will remain unstruck.

Users

Topics