Domoutsan Mushroom Curry

• Baron

Presenting Candarion's first edible lore post!

No online recipe would be complete without 3 pages of fluff beforehand, though! This story begins (after a short break to figure out how to cancel the auto-play video) long ago in my childhood, as my beloved Mami and Papi and the Fungal Hivemind watching over us all taught me this TASTY and DELICIOUS classic Domoutsan recipe...

Spice Mix

• 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) Fennel Seed
    • 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) Cumin
    • 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) White Pepper
    • 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) Black Pepper
    • 1" (2.5 cm) stick of Cinnamon
    • 1 Clove
    • 1 sliver of Orange Peel
    • 1/2 (2.5 ml) tsp Coriander
    • 1/2 (2.5 ml) tsp Peanut Butter
    • 1/4 (1 ml) tsp Mustard
    • 1/4 (1 ml) tsp Kosher Salt
    • 2 cloves of Garlic, minced
    • 1 nub of Ginger, minced
    • 1/2 cup (250 ml) Milk
    • 1/4 cup (125 ml) Yogurt
    • OPTIONAL: substitute yogurt/milk with the same amounts Cream of Mushroom Soup / Water for more authentic Domoutsan flavor, or with Coconut / Water if you prefer a dairy free version

Other

• 1 tsp (2.5 ml) Cooking Oil (canola, sesame, or ghee)
    • 1/2 Onion
    • 12oz (340g) can of Diced Tomato
    • 1 Bay Leaf
    • 1/4 tsp (1 ml) Chili Powder
    • 1/4 tsp (1 ml) Salt
    • 1/4 tsp (1 ml) Pepper
    • 8 oz (225 g) Mushrooms
    • 1/4 (1 ml) tsp Lime Juice
    • Steamed rice

Equipment

• Stovetop
    • Cooking Pan
    • Mortal and Pestle / Spice Grinder

Directions

1. Measure all dry spice mix ingredients and put them into a small bowl
      alt text

2. Preheat the pan on medium-high heat, and then toast the dry spices until fragrant (around 30 seconds)
      alt text

3. Return the spices to a bowl, and then grind them with the spice grinder (or mortal and pestle) into a powder

4. Mince the garlic and ginger and put them into a small bowl with the mustard and peanut butter
      alt text

5. Put the spice mixture, wet spices, milk, and yogurt into the blender and blend them until they are a smooth paste
      alt text

6. Set the spice paste aside into a bowl.
      alt text
      (Note: This is not what it will look like. It will be thicker and the spices will be more incorporated)

7. Dice the half onion and cook it with a bay leaf in the pan on medium heat until it is translucent, several minutes
      alt text

8. Drain the can of diced tomatoes, and add them, chili powder, salt, and pepper to the pan. Cook for several more minutes
      alt text

9. Add the chopped mushrooms and spice mixture to the pan. Simmer covered for 15 minutes
      alt text

10. Once done cooking, add the lime juice, salt, and black pepper to taste
      alt text

11. Serve over rice, dosas, or idli
      alt text

• Baron

Author's Notes

So, obviously this recipe isn't fully authentic. I can't do everything in a tiny studio apartment kitchen on a college student's budget. This is where I'll go into some of the lore behind the dish, as well as some of the replacements I had to make.

Spices:

Domoutso is a (sub)tropical island, with consistently warm weather at the lower elevations. The island has two sides: wet and dry. The tropical spices (cinnamon, coriander, chilis, and clove) are grown at the lower elevations on the wet side, while the Mediterranean spices (cumin, coriander, fennel,mustard, orange) are grown on the dry side due to their tolerance to dry conditions. The garlic, peanuts, ginger, and bay leaves can be grown at higher elevations due to their better tolerance to cold. Salt is dried from sea water.

Other Ingredients:

The rest of the ingredients can easily be grown in Domoutso. Mushrooms are fairly straightforward considering it is a mushroom island biome. Tomatoes and onion both are well suited to the climate and form the basis of many different dishes, alongside garlic and ginger. The milk and yogurt are products of the Domoutso Mooshroom. I do not think that normal milk would taste the same as mooshroom milk, however. In the future I will try this dish with Cream of Mushroom soup as a substitute for a mooshroom dairy product. Rice is the main cereal crop eaten in Domoutso; meals are typically served with dosas (a fermented rice and lentil pancake), idlis (rice cakes) or plain steamed rice.

Cooking Process:

I made use of many modern kitchen appliances that the people in Domoutso would have no access to. While it can be made using traditional methods and equipment, I would prefer to not be kicked out of my apartment by my landlord.

Substitutions:

Peanut butter was used in place of peanuts, regular milk and yogurt in place of mooshroom milk, mustard in place of mustard seed, and canola oil in place of ghee. These replacements were due to budget and availability in my kitchen.

Serving:

In Domoutso, the meal would be made in a x4 batch approximately and prepared for a whole family. It would also be traditionally served on a banana leaf and eaten by hand or with chopsticks.

Additional Notes:

Mushrooms are a very common part of Domoutsan cuisine, and most dishes incorporate them in some form. Most Domoutsans are vegetarian, and so mushrooms are a vital source of protein in their diet.

Users

Topics