Tell me about your realm's cuisine! I may just eat it

• Baron

To the best of my ability considering ingredient availability, budget, and equipment. Again, my landlord is nice but not "forgives accidentally setting the apartment on fire using a DIY pizza oven" nice.

Here are some things to consider that would help me a great deal:

• What real life cuisine would be most similar to your realms?
    • What food/spices can grow in your realm?
    • What does your realm import and from where?
    • Are there any cultural practices that impact what your people eat? (e.g. vegetarian, worships eggs, thinks eating fish is cannibalism)
    • How is food typically eaten in your realm?

EDIT: If I like your dish there is opportunity for arbitrarily awarded prizes! I don't know what you'll win, but assuming I don't get poisoned future me will be able to figure that out.

• Baron

White cakes are a staple food for the Kohese of the delta- the ingredients are abundant in the rainy season and make an excellent comfort food while waiting out monsoons in the city

tshellak bara
    white cakes "city style"

Ingredients

Lakas
    nehe (llama butter) clarified
    doeh (rice) ground
    dowwush (minced river crab)
    ihhingets (dill)
    wahtsha (white pepper)
    bea (salt)

Tsaameh
    iki hottsho (wakame seaweed)
    giagia (pickled bitter melon)

Mince dowwush and mix into flour until moist but firm
    Salt and mix in ihhingets and wahtsha
    Form laka to size of four wet in hand and lay on platter to rest
    Heat butter in low pan over fire until liquid is clear and bubbles against a hairpin
    Cook until golden bloom comes
    Serve warm with fresh iki and giagia

• Baron

A typical yet luxurious dessert served in the courts of Saka's and urban warlords are the infamous spiced wine and rice puddings enjoyed in dinner-parties and symposia's.

The resulting dish might appear overly sweet or spiced. This is however the point as the ingredients used to make these dishes are either uncommon in the average Sogad cuisine or exceedingly expensive and out of reach from even most nobility. Remember that wealth in Sogadar is reflected in power and influence more than material goods. To acquire such ingredients that makes extensive use of imported spices and goods is a sign of influence and power that stretches beyond even the lands the average man would know of.

For a warlord to be able to serve these dishes, he would have to know a Saka, and for a Saka to be able to gift these ingredients to his subordinates, he would have to have foreign tributaries or relationships with foreign leaders. That is the mark of an empire.

Mulled Wine recepie:

1. Wine - Red wine. Recommend Shiraz for extra flavour but any wine would do.
    2. Cinnamon - One or two sticks depending on serving size.
    3. Spices - Two cloves (whole), Cardamom pods (three or five), Star Anise (optional), saffron strands (optional but recommended for that Sogad flare).
    4. Sweetener - A few spoonfuls of honey depending how sweet you want it.

Heat up wine to warm and slowly add in the ingredients above. Do not boil.

Kheer Rice Pudding recepie:

1. White rice - Any kind available
    2. Ghee (Calcified butter)
    3. Crushed cardamom
    4. Whole milk
    5. Palm Sugar or Honey
    6. Toppings - Nuts (Almonds, Cashew, etc.), Saffron strands.

WARNING: Watch youtube video on how to make Kheer!

Cook in order of recepie above. Wash 1/4 cup of rice (50 grams) until water turns clear. Heat heavy bottom pan on medium heat and add the washed and drained rice with a teaspoon of ghee to the pan. Add crushed cardamom as well. Stir for 2 minutes until aromatic.

Add 1 liter of milk to the pan. Stir until boil. Do no increase the heat. Once boiling, decrease the heat to low and cook for 25 minutes. Stir well until thick. Add 3-4 teaspoons of palm sugar or honey. Add nuts and saffron. Stir until mixed well.

Users

Topics